Translate

Monday, August 27, 2012

Big changes.

So a lot has happened in the last couple of weeks! One big item is my relocation back to the US! It's a bittersweet move for me because I have really grown to love and care about the people and places here. London does feel like home away from home now - I no longer get lost and everything has a sense of familiarity to me. I remember, vividly, the feeling of complete anxiety and apprehension in every step the first couple of weeks I lived here. I would walk out of buildings and be completely turned around. It didn't help that I didn't even take a day off from when I first moved-in and started my job.

If I can advise anything - take time for yourself when you move to a new place. Take time to learn about the most basic of needs; ie where do you buy groceries, how banking works, transportation details. I had brushed up a bit before I moved here but I think I could have done a little bit more to be fair.

I have no clue where I will be working when I am back home at this time - there are definitely some options and since I am still 2 months out I have some time. I am going to be moving in with my sister in NYC! We have been looking for spots there and I am really looking forward to this aspect. Well there are a lot of good things to come - Thanksgiving with family, NFL, mexican food & sushi, Target, etc. Just a few things I really have missed.


In the interim, my good friends have provided me with a bucket list of things I need to complete. I really need to get a move on it. I have decided to use the bank holiday (man, will I miss these) catching up on work things and shopping for a bday gifts. Next weekend, I promise, will be for crossing items off the list.

The one I did get to was Venti 2 with Tori. Delicious Italian!

Transferring the copy from the back of the Busaba tablemat to this blog:
  • Venti2
  • Provodores
  • Paradise 
  • Kensington Roof Gardens
  • Oxo Tower Drinks
  • Centre Point Sky Bar
  • Paramount
  • Kew Gardens Picnic
  • Aqua
  • Bliss Spa
  • Afternoon Tea - Claridges
  • Harrods (I know, everyone makes fun of me on this one)
  • Camrbdige
  • Haka San
  • Makiki "It Club"
  • The Wolsley "Breakfast"
  • G.A.Y


 Lucy and I went to the Notting Hill Carnival; apparently it is a very big deal; biggest street festival in Europe. Learn more here: http://www.thenottinghillcarnival.com/

It was an interesting experience. I was really expecting a lot more street vendors with lots of delicious food and drinks. Not so much. Also, TONS of prams/strollers & whistles. Everywhere. Drunk people + whistles + babies = lots of noise. Also, I wouldn't describe it as the safest environment - people smashing into each other to catch a glimpse of the parade. Definitely interesting to see but we didn't stay for very long.

I did pop-in to a comic book store to see if they had Walking Dead; also thought it would be nice to get away from the noise. It definitely was. Plus, they had a few options from the series to choose from. I picked up the fourth one and already read it. Amazing! Pics from the parade and my new copy of Walking Dead below!




I have been catching up on Dexter and Sister Wives when I have free time. Though this is definitely limited these days. I am in a bit of a funk lately trying to figure out what I really want to do and where I want to be. I guess it's just my personality to always be thinking and considering the future. I think my strong desire to be an entrepreneur is clouding any perspective to work at a stable, corporate environment. I do work incredibly hard at everything I do and put a ridiculously amount of pressure on myself to do my best whether I am at the gym, working on my projects or at work. I am usually the first or second one in and one of the last to leave each night. I find myself irritated when people stroll in at half past nine when I have been there for over an hour and feel there is so much to get done. I know this is my own hang-up but I cannot help my extreme work ethic and maybe I am envious that I cannot just let things go a bit. But then, maybe I wouldn't be here in London with a successful career path carved-out for me? hmmm.

1 comment:

Masonry Queens said...

Wow this sounds like a whole adventure!!!

-Adam Ahmed